Monday, June 7, 2010

Concrete jungle where dreams are made of...


Hello, hello!An NYC update!

It's the end of my third day in NYC, and it's been quite a trek already! After a fiasco in which the DOOR got yanked off of my airplane (really. I wish I were kidding) and my flight getting canceled, I ended up having to take a train to the city from Philly! After some initial flailing, I got on the train just fine, and it turned out to be a lovely experience! The station was absolutely gorgeous (Vintage 1933, Dad said) and so to make lemonade out of lemons, I took lots of pretty pictures.

After arriving in Manhattan, I was immediately whisked off to the Socrates Sculpture Garden. It was darling to watch the little children about try to make sense of the modern sculptures! To be honest, I think they had more of a clue than I did! After we finished there, (and after a zillion mile walk) my very first Greek dinner (besides a Gyro here and there in Japan. Doesn't count.) I then promptly came home and crashed. Phew!

Yesterday morning was filled with... well, interesting art to say the least. I had to take off my sensible Comic-Book reader hat, and put on my Introspective Art-Student hat. We visited The New Museum, to see Skin Fruit; an apparently extremely controversial show. It did seem like a fairly disjointed collection, save for the link that most of the pieces had to do with the human body, particularly the carnal desire of the flesh. (Ahem.) Then we went out to Bushwick to a small arts festival- supposedly. It turned out to be very hard to locate, and most of the places we ducked in were not air-conditioned, and after a whole day of walking, all of us were feeling pretty faint!

To be honest, 20th Century art, for the most part, doesn't interest me very much, but the concepts behind them are always fascinating! After a quick recharge, and a Frappucino, I headed back out. That night, I took Sylvana out to Madison Square Park for some photos, and the weather was lovely! I found my way to Astor Place, where I had a delicious, delicious Japanese meal and acquired a hefty handful of Grape Hi-Chews, which are unobtainable anywhere else. I ducked into a comic book shop and grabbed Red Robin #13, Red Hood: Lost Years #1, and Asylum of the Joker II: The Riddler. Yessss. So I wanted to see Times Square, so I read my comic books on the way. When I got there, I high-fived Batman with a soft pretzel stuffed in my teeth, and then read Red Hood on the way home. Life is sweet.

Today I went to the Museum of Modern Art- MoMA- again, more interesting art... But I forgot what all was there! Starry Night, for one, and a whole bunch of Picasso and Matisse's work. Haha, I am uninformed, clearly. After some wandering and taking in drawings and pieces (and attempting to stuff an Art Nouveau chair discreetly into my purse) we all split up and I went scampering off on an adventure! I returned to Bryant Park from where I last visited NYC, and then scurried to Kinokuniya to feed my weeaboo fix. Mmm. Delicious magazines. Then I scampered over to Times Square to pick up tickets for Mary Poppins tomorrow night! Yessss! So excited.

Sooo, with that in mind, I better pass out.
More later!
XOXOXO
~Lilly

P.S. Here is my public Facebook album link! I'll be updating as I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment