Thursday, June 10, 2010

I'm crazier than you!


Still in ever-moving NYC, and to keep with the city, I'm ever-moving, too! My days are packed, as usual with most trips. But so far (most) things have gone off without a hitch! (Knock on wood...)

Tuesday began with a trip to the International Center of Photography. The main focus was meant to be on the Civil Rights exhibition downstairs, but I found myself drawn to the "Lost Souls" display. The artist, Lena Herzog, photographed stillborn infants that had been kept in jars as curiosities in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Dark and morbid as that may sound, the way they were photographed was poignant, tender, kind. After this (among other things) I decided to make the subject of my paper for the class "The Modern Memento Mori." (I'll think of a catchier title later!) I also picked up a camera strap for my mother and I- mine being in shades of brown with little Parisian prints, and my mother's in black and white with Eiffel Towers and filigree. Since Mom and I have matching cameras, we don't want them getting mixed up!
We then went (by way of Grand Central Station) to the Guggenheim! I will be the first to tell you that modern art is not my aesthetic, but I was impressed, none the less! Once I was allowed out and about on my own, I got myself serendipitously lost around Park Avenue; and stumbled upon Betsey Johnson, one of my favorite designers, that just so happened to be having a sale. Hooray!
But then, it was time to high-tail it to Times Square. I had a show to catch!
The performance was Mary Poppins, one of my very favorite films as a child. I knew all the songs by heart, and was quite dazzled indeed by night's end! While the musical followed the series of books more than the film, it was still a fun night and beautiful to watch. "Jolly Holiday" has been in my head ever since.The next morning we were allowed to visit a museum of our choosing- but after various mix-ups and confusions, I wound up just barely getting to our meeting in time with a very impatient, and directionally-impaired cabbie. Still, the trip was worth it alone for the Brooklyn Museum. I was in for a treat- not only was Kiki Smith's "Soujurn" exhibition on display, with its charming depiction of a woman's life, but High Style, a chunk of the Met/Brookyn Museum's garment collection was on display. I could hardly contain my squeals and screams of delight as I scrambled through the exhibit and wanted to climb over the barricades to roll in the silk and velvet. Absolutely delicious. Dumbstruck, I tucked the exhibit book in my bag to pore over later, as I was meeting a very special person for lunch.

Kenneth Brown knew my mother when she was fresh out of High School and working in theater. He moved to NYC with the intent to work in Broadway, and that is exactly what he is doing! His repertoire includes the Producers, Billy Elliot, and now Addams Family, where he is Nathan Lane's dresser. He was an absolute Prince Charming and a delight. What a life he has! After our squealing over the exhibit book in a sushi restaurant, he casually said, "Oh, let's go look at a few."
And he proceeded to take me backstage, at the Addams Family. I touched real stage costumes with my bare hands. I was so flabbergasted by the whole thing I bet I blabbered like an idiot! Oh, Kenneth, so patient. Morticia's gown was divine, and I was amazed at how much was reworked every night. For obvious reasons, there aren't photos, but I can describe it.

There were boxes of tights- apparently, anything that touches an actor's skin has to be replaced every performance. Tights, shirts, etc. So there were boxes and boxes of these things set aside. Morticia's gown was painstakingly steamed between each performance. (Two daily, by the way, except Monday.) The Costumes are built like TANKS. It never occurred to me how much abuse they would need to stand up against- so they needed to be built to hold up far longer and stronger than most street clothing. They are also meticulously made, with details NO ONE would see unless you were standing right on top of them. The "Cavemean" ghost had small sewn-on claws on his cape- they couldn't have been larger than my palm!

Starry-eyed, Ken led me to the ticket-booth, where I somehow ended up in the fourth row center for that night's show. And, let me tell you, it was incredible! Hilarious, dark, puppets, music! Anything anyone could want. Charming, heartwarming and deliciously morbid all at once! My kind of show. And, knowing about all of the behind-the-scenes work made it all the more special.

It still feels like a dream!

Today we finally went to the Metropolitan Museum, which was like a breath of fresh air after so much modern art. I frolicked in the gorgeous paintings wing, and informed everyone they would not likely see me for a few decades. After a gorgeous day at the Met, there was relaxing in the park before I walked down the way to the Frick Collection, to savor the gorgeous Rococo Art. Rooms of Boucher! Rooms of Gainsborough! Yes! Yes! It was an overload of eyecandy. After all of that, I needed to rest, so here I am!

A mellow evening indeed.

What else is in store?
XOXOXO
~Lilly

No comments:

Post a Comment